In 1919, when
wounds caused by the war were still bleeding, in the united Romania, a few
Romanian highschools were inaugurated in Transilvania. Among these there were
two public Romanian highschools, founded in Oradea: the theoretical
highschool, by transforming the Hungarian theoretical school, and the
highschool "E. Gojdu" with a
classic modern structure, which functions in 1920 keeping the name
The founding document
dates from the 15th of June 1919. On the 1st of August 1919 the
pupils' registration begins, on the 2nd of October takes place the first
teachers' council, and on the 5th of October the inauguration of the
school year, which has a great historical significance. Between 1920 and 1923,
the highschool goes through a period of transition, period in which the
organising system is changed, adopting the one from Romania before the Union,
by replacing the Hungarian programme from 1883 with the one of Spiru Haret and
also by changing the teaching language into Romanian.
From 1923 until 1939,
the highschool "E. Gojdu" adhears to the changing
movements from the Romanian educational system, standing out by the teachers'
activity. The teachers realized that in this town with a culture mainly
Hungarian in that time, with many foreign medium schoolas, the Romanians were
waiting for the reinforcement of our oppressed culture. The teaching staff was
an animator of the local cultural life, and for this the school gained a great
rename among the Romanian highschools from Transilvania and all the country.
It worth to be mentioned that the first school newspaper from Oradea,
"St.Gheorghe", was the one of the highschool
"Emanuil Gojdu" and in which, according to prof.
Cornel Moga, the pupils "will write many moral-national, cultural,
historical and geographical issues".
The most prestigious publication
of the school was and will remain the magazine "The Country of Our
Dreams", the first edition appearing on the 1st of December
1937. The publicist Ioan Bulgar, wrote in the newspaper "The
Flag" from the 2nd of April 1945 :
studente grew up as they were taught by their teachers.
After The Dictate
from Vien, Oradea passing under Hungarian domination, the highschool became
the Romanian section of the Hungarian highschool. By the exode of the Romanian
population, especially of the youth, and also by the expulsion made by the
Hungarian authorities, the number of teachers and students was reduced, during
this period the existence of the Romanian school being threatened.
liberation of Oradea on the 12th of October 1944 causes the
reinauguration of the Romanian highschool with the name of "The
Romanian Public Highschool" and the restauration of he school
from the bank of the Crisul Repede river, begining even before the reinstalling
of the Romanian administration. Begining with the 1st of September 1945
the highschool takes
back its old name; later it will be changed and then reattributed on the 6th
of September 1970.
- "The Country of Our Dreams" remained always the same :
fair, human, Romanian. It has never slipped. There in the magazine lots of
things were wished, were cried out, and mainly believed in. There were times in
which that was the only thing left.
Today, the "Emanuil
Gojdu" highschool has 1300 students, in highschool and gimnazium
education. The profiles are: informathics, mathematics-phisics,
phisics-chemistry, chemistry-biology, bilingual. The highschool has 54
classrooms, 10 laboratories, 3 sports halls, a library having 30000 volumes, a
reading-room, boarding school and refectory.
The school is proud of the
modern equipement of the informathics labs, of the "Golden
Book" and of the history, archeology and etnographaeology and